Friday, January 31, 2014

Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers


I may not know who is playing in the Super Bowl besides Bruno Mars for the halftime show, but that doesn’t matter; it is the biggest snacking day of the year and I plan to take full advantage of it. I’m really not sorry to say that the only pig skin I’ll be concerning myself with this Sunday will be on my cocktail weenies. Here I took two game day favorites, Buffalo wings and jalapeno poppers, and put them together for one ultimate snack. Forget the teams, this wins the Super Bowl.

Clearly, I’m not big on football.  I don’t know what a blitz is or where the end zone is (just Googled “football terminology”), all I know is that the Super Bowl is a huge unofficial holiday and I want to be part of the party. I want to sit in front of the T.V. and eat nachos and chili too! So I bring the snacks and stay tuned for the commercials.

The filling for the jalapeno poppers is basically just buffalo chicken dip. If you’ve never tried it, it’s a mixture of shredded chicken, wing sauce, and cream cheese, and I don’t know why but it is really good. Then again, I don’t know how anything that is 80% red hot sauce can be bad. It’s not exactly the classiest of foods, but it is just about as American as football itself. On top are all the things that go perfectly with Buffalo wings: blue cheese crumbles, carrots, and celery. Yes, they are spicy, though no more spicy than a platter of hot wings. Touchdown celebration dance!

P.S. To stay updated on posts, please like The Picky Stuff on Facebook! Thank you :-) 

Yield: 14
-   7 jalapeno peppers, halved, with seeds and membranes removed
-   1 teaspoon olive oil
-   1 cup (about 1 breast), cooked, shredded chicken
-   ¼ cup wing sauce (such as Frank’s Red Hot)
-   ¼ cup unsalted butter
-   6 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
Garnish
-  Crumbled blue cheese
-  Finely diced carrots and celery
-  Chopped scallions
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place the jalapeno halves on a foil-lined tray and toss with the olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes.
2) In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter until melted and whisk in the wing sauce. In a bowl, combine the shredded chicken with the wing sauce mixture and the softened cream cheese and mix until fully combined.
3) Place about a tablespoon of the chicken mixture into each of the jalapeno halves. Top with the crumbled blue cheese and bake for another 10 minutes until the blue cheese is slightly melted. Garnish with the carrots, celery, and scallions.


No comments:

Post a Comment